Southern Open Show
Sunday 17th November
Llanarth Village Hall NP15 2AU
Judge Brian McAvoy (Cymbeline)
Best in Show Stevenson's Lochlorien Prime Suspectfor Andley J.W. Sh. C.M.
Reserve Best in Show and Best Dog Hyslop's Gwendariff The Specialist
Best Veteran Waterton's Lynwood Strands of Silk at Sandstream J.W. Sh. C.M.
Best Puppy Pike's Orlanset Sarah at Glenury
With Judge Mr Brian McAvoy and Club Chairman Mrs Lyn Morris
IRISH SETTERCLUB OF WALES, SOUTHERN OPEN SHOW.
SUNDAY 17TH NOVEMBER 2013.
Firstly allow me to express my thanks to the officers and committee for a most enjoyable day,in a pleasant location with. Despite the distances involved and the previous days championship show there was still a turnout of enthusiastic exhibitors. My thanks are especially extended to my stewards for the day.
Although the entry in each class was not large the overall impression was of some very pleasing dogs and bitches of quality, the movement in most cases was up to par, though the room available did prevent some getting into a good stride. In general bone,feet and teeth were good as were eyes, angulation, spring of rib and body. That said there were some dogs that were loose at the shoulder and/or elbow also some narrow fronts. One or two of the placings were very close decisions and in different circumstances may well have been reversed. Once again my thanks for the honour of being asked to judge this show.
MINOR PUPPY DOG NO ENTRIES
PUPPY DOG ( 1 ENT/ 1ABS )
VETERAN DOG NO ENTRIES.
JUNIOR DOG (5/2)
Very nice young dog,good feet, coat, well shaped dark eye nice head and expression, good reach of neck leading into a nice tight shoulder and elbow well spaced front without being too wide in front. Nice spring of rib into good length of loin and well angled hindquarter. All set on nice feet well bodied, moved enthusiastically. Little of note to say against him.
Lively young dog. Did not get a chance to go over him fully so my assessment was done from a distance and whilst he was on the move. Even so he showed a good shoulder and topline and moved well,good coat and nice feet,moved well but easily distracted, however he has time on his side
YEARLING DOG (6/2)
.1) ORLANSET THE ROCKER MR.&MRS.D.&K.M.HEMMINGS.
2) BRINARA PRIVATE EYE. MR.&MRS.G.S.C.AXON.
Pleasing young dog, well balanced head with soft expression and dark eye. Good reach of neck into shoulder, leading on to a sloping topline. Well bodied nice spring of rib well let down, good bone and nice feet. Well furnished with a rich coloured coat.
2) BALINTYNE BELLBOY Ms.H.DAVIES.Big dog nice head and dark eye but fell of after this initial impression loose at shoulder and needs to body up somewhat large feet and long in hock moved erratically needed to go a bit faster and mature.
POST GRADUATE DOG.(2/0)
Impressive dog,well balanced throughout. Good masculine head with low set ears, nice square muscle into well defined stop and domed skull. Good reach of neck set well into tight shoulder. From there a good spring of rib well let down, powerful loin onto nicely angulated hind quarters good tail set. Full dark coat moved with drive. Slightly broad over the eye,but not enough to detract from the overall impact of this dog.
2) BRINARA BACK IN THE RUNNING.MR.MRS.G.S.C.AXON.
Well coated 5yr, old dog. Fair head low set ears but appeared to be short. Good depth to chest,
1) RONZALDA FIGARO MR.&MRS.E.R.&Z McDONAGH.
Stood alone in this class. Big rangy dog with balanced head and dark eye. Ears of good length and well set on head, oval skull with well defined occiput. Ribcage of good depth and length, long over loin adequate angulation with short hock, erratic on the move.
1)TERAMOUR GOING FOR GOLD MR.&MRS.T.A.&J.M. RODDA.
Powerfully built dog, balanced head and good reach of neck into sloping topline,well bodied good shoulder and angulation. Good bone good spring of rib and depth of chest nice feet. Dark coat and well finished. Moved steadily.
2) LANDSCOT GOING FOR GOLD MR.&MRS.H.MILLAN.
Similar style of dog to first. Balanced head and good dark eye,good reach of neck and sloping topline good bend of stifle. Less enthusiastic on the move.
3) SAMETSUZ ON CUE ALOLFRAN.SH.CM.
MINOR PUPPY BITCH.(3.0)
1) REDCLYST AURA. MR.&MRS.D.G.PIKE.
Extremely sweet young bitch. Good head and lovely feminine expression,low set ears of good length good reach of neck into nice shoulder good spring of rib suitably boned with good angulation fore and aft. Moved well for one so young. B.P. & B.P.I.S.
2) GWENDARIFF PRITTY PERFEKT.MR.&MRS.P.B.BEUGELAAR.
Different style of bitch to first. Well bodied and with nice feet with short hocks, not so balanced in head, but still very young and has plenty of time to grow.
3) COLANME FIREBIRD.MR.&MRS.C.W.&.J.ROBERTS.
1) REDCLYST AURA.MR.&MRS.D.G.PIKE.
2) GWENDARIFF PRITTY PERFEKT.MR.&MRS,P.B.BEUGELAAR.
1) SH.CH.LYNWOOD KISSED BY AN ANGEL AT SANDSTREAM J.W.Sh.C.M.MISS S.WATERTON.
Very nice 12yr old sweet head,well angulated fore and aft. Good reach of neck set well into good shoulder,nice spring of rib. well bodied and still in good coat,all set on nice feet. Moved steadily with drive. BEST VETERAN IN SHOW.
2) TANNYMAC COULD IT BE MAGIC AT HEATHCLARE. J.W.Sh.C.M.
Another nice veteran. Well balanced head with low set ears and dark eye,not as good feet as one,well bodied with a nice rich coat. Less enthusiastic on the move.
1) BRINARA VANITY FAIR.J.W.MRS,B.&L.BERRY & MORRIS. Very sweet young bitch. Good balanced head with nice eye and soft expression good domed shape, well boned throughout, good neck and shoulder well sprung rib good length of loin and bend of stifle,nice feet moved steadily.
2) REDESHKA ARRESTING SIGHT. MRS.R.A.WEBB. A nice young girl, similar in style to 1st though not as balanced overall. That said,with nice head and eye well boned moved very well with drive.
3) ORLANSET SARAH AT GLENBURY.MR.&MRS.D.G.PIKE.
1) BRINARA VANITY FAIR.J.W.MRS,B&L.BERRY & MORRIS.
2) GWENDARIFF I’M ON SHOW. MRS.G.HYSLOP
Quite a tall bitch,that moved well. Balanced throughout ,nice head and expression with low set ears and good reach of neck into nice tight shoulder,good length of loin and angulation.
3) IRELEITH CONCHITTA AT TERRAMOUR MR.&MRS.T.A.&J.M.RODDA.
1) REDCLYST AURA MR.&MRS.D.G.PIKE.
2) ORLANSET SARAH AT GLENBURY MR.&MRS.D.G.PIKE.
Sweet looking bitch, good outline but slightly short coupled. Well bodied and boned with good angulation and short hocks with nice feet suffered from being a little out of coat.
3) IRELEITH CONCHITTA AT TERRAMOUR.MR&MRS.T.A.&J.M.RODDA.
1)LYNWOOD HAPPY AS A LARK. MR.&MRS.R.C.&J.P.MUGFORD
A very sweet 2yr old. Good balanced head with a nice dark eye and pleasing expression,good neck and shoulder into well sprung rib, good bone and nice feet,short hocks moved very well with drive. Slightly short coupled for me but this did not detract from the overall impression of this girl.
2) MELMARA MINERVOIS MR.M.L.C.RUSSELL.
Another very nice bitch very little to choose between them,again well balanced in head although slightly broader than 1st.Good bone and body. Moved steadily.
3) LOCHLORIEN SCULLY FOXES ANDLEY.MR.&MRS.G.C.STEVENSON.
POST GRADUATE BITCH.(3/0)
1) BRABROOK SHES ALL STYLE.MR&MRS.A,J,&B.A.DRINKWATER.
Befits her name,very sweet bitch well boned and bodied. Good balanced head feminine expression low set ears of good length, adequate reach of neck into tight shoulder, good spring of rib well let down,strong loin and strong well angulated hind quarters all on nice feet. Moved well. R.B.BITCH.
2) BRINARA INDEPENDANT MRS.L.FITZMAURICE.
Another very nice bitch.Well boned and bodied sweet head, good rib and feet,shorter coupled than 1st and moved less steadily on the day.
3) BRINARA BRIET.MRS.B.&L.BERRY&MORRIS.
1) HEATHCLARE A KIND OF MAGIC.MISS&MRS.C.J.&J.PRANGLE&BENNETT.
Nice powerful bitch, good head and dark eye, nice neck and shoulder, well boned and bodied. Full dark coat moved well
2) GWENDARIFF WHAT A SHOWGIRL.MRS.G.HYSLOP.
Sweet bitch good head and expression good neck and shoulder and good bend of stifle, very nice topline, not as full of coat as 1st, very close and on another day the decission may be reversed.
3) DERRYDORE WOODLARK.MRSJ.V.PHILIPS.
1) LOCHLORIEN PRIME SUSPECT FOR ANDLEY.J.W.SH.COM.MR.&MRS.G.&C.STEVENSON.
Really nice bitch. balanced head,with well defined stop and dark eye nicely domed skull with pleasing muscle and flews,nice length to ears, well arched neck set nicely into tight shoulder,deep well sprung ribcage with good forechest. Well angulated fore and aft with nice topline, good bone and good tight feet moved well both here and in challenge. BEST BITCH & BEST IN SHOW.
2) Sh.Ch.LYNWOOD KISSED BY AN ANGEL AT SANDSTREAM.J.W.Sh.C.O.M.MISS S.WATERTON.
Another bitch of quality. Good head with well defined stop dark well shaped eye,good length to ears correctly set on head,ample reach of neck into nice shoulder with a sloping topline and nice tailset. Good angulation, spring of rib and depth to chest, well boned and bodied. Nice short hock and feet,full dark coat, moved well.
1) LOCHLORIEN SCULLY FOXES ANDLEY &LOCHLORIAN PRIME SUSPECT FOR ANDLEY.J.W.Sh.C.O.M.
Well matched mother and daughter, moved steadily together at a steady pace very nice
2) LYNWOODSTRANDS OF SILK AT SANDSTREAM.J.W.ShC.O.M.& Sh.Ch.LYNWOOD KISSED BY AN ANGEL AT SANDSTREAM,
Another matched pair, moved nicely but not as steadily as 1st.